StartIsBack For Windows 8.1
StartIsBack+ returns Windows 8.1 a real fully featured start menu and start button, behaving exactly like the ones in Windows 7. StartIsBack+ radically improves desktop usability and makes new Start screen clutter-free. StartIsBack is fully native lightweight zero-privileges program, cheap and fair, fast, stable and secure. StartIsBack+ is a free upgrade for all StartIsBack users.
What’s new in StartIsBack+?
New unique features:
- “Everything at once”. Hold down Windows key for half a second until search icon appears in the center of the screen; release it and have instant access to all your running apps, taskbar and charms or search bar at the same time from any app you use. Its a great multitasking helper which should be very useful for both tablet and classic PCs. You don’t have to learn all keyboard shortcuts, run your mouse to the screen corners or perform awkward swipes. Just hold down Windows key on keyboard or double-tap Win logo on the tablet! (off by default)
- Taskbar on Start screen. You can set StartIsBack to always display taskbar on Start screen and greatly reduce Start screen stress!
- Although this function appeared in SIB 2.1, it really shines in Windows 8.1 when you set your wallpaper for Start screen.
- Start menu has been rebuilt from ground up. It no longer uses code present in explorer; but! No features were lost and actually has been improved with new features and many fixes for bugs present in original menu code. StartIsBack+ uses LESS resources than native menu!
- Start menu utilizes start menu “soul” left in Windows; it’s fully compatible with Windows 7 / StartIsBack settings and policies
- StartIsBack+ does not require a process or service to run, comes with support / translation for all Windows languages (where MUI is available)
- StartIsBack+ is better suited for tablets and convertibles.
- Start menu has been rebuilt from ground up. Lot of Windows 7 menu bugs were fixed
- Items in right pane can be removed or tweaked in-place (hold shift with right-click)
- Items in right pane can be configured as menu for more items (like Connect To)
- You can add your own folders into right pane by drag & drop
- All Programs can show folders before items
- Start menu configuration is much more streamlined
Start Apps (Modern apps) folder in All Programs:
- Higher-quality icons are used
- You can create a shortcut for Modern app from Start Apps folder directly via drag & drop
- You can uninstall Modern apps directly from context menu
- StartIsBack+ provides start button for each taskbar
- StartIsBack+ uses built-in Windows 8.1 start button image (by default), but with different selection / animation effect to distinguish it
- Same skins included; Plain8 is the default
- Start menu is a full sheet of glass; without hacks
- Glass layer can be turned off totally; without hacks
- StartIsBack+ allows using msstyles from Windows 8 unaltered (you still need UxStyle or whatever)
- All screen edges but bottom-left are enabled by default
- Settings for bottom-left corner were removed
- F3 on desktop no longer launches desktop search
- StartIsBack+ settings for start menu are now stored in ..\StartIsBack registry key, not in …\Explorer\Advanced. Existing settings are migrated.
Download: StartIsBack+ 1.0 | 1.1 MB (30 Days Trial)